Friday, March 05, 2010

Kumquat: It's not just fun to say

Evidence that I wasn't feeling up to par, here are some pictures I took EIGHT weeks ago today and wanted to post on my blog. Better late than never? Definitely. There are expressions in the following pictures that make me laugh every time I look at them.

On babycenter.com, pregnant women can track the growth of their unborn babies in comparison to fruits and vegetables. It's pretty clever since it gives such a tangible example of what's growing inside. I mean, not that there are fruits and vegetables growing inside me... in case you were confused.

Today, I'm 18 weeks along. According to the website, our baby is the size of a green bell pepper.

But 10 weeks ago, it was as big as a kumquat.

A kumquat?

I didn't even know what one was. But it just so happened that we were at the grocery store later that afternoon and walked right by a basket of kumquats on sale! I couldn't resist, so I got one for each of us to try at lunch the next day.

But before we could eat them, we had to Google HOW to eat them. Do you know how to eat a kumquat? Allow my kids to demonstrate for you...

Presenting... the kumquat:

First you roll it...

And then you plop the whole thing in at once...

And chew.

That way, the sweet taste of the peel mixes with the bitter taste of the inside, creating the most delectable fruit known to man. Right, Emma?

Oh wait... PSYCHE! She chickened out.

Let's see what Addie thinks:

Okay, so she wasn't convinced. Maybe this kumquat thing wasn't a good idea. Wait... what's that, Emma? You wanna try again? Go for it!



Alright, I guess you should've taken Addie's word for it. Oh, what's that, Addie? You've changed your mind? Now you LOVE kumquats?

Well, I'm not totally convinced, but we'll go with it. I wasn't sure about her motives the next day when she insisted on bringing one to school for a friend to try. How generous of her.

And here's a bonus picture of the Brodster, who decided to stick with peanut butter and jelly this day. Good choice, buddy.

7 comments:

  1. Still vaguely disturbed that you were eating something representative of the babe-in-womb.

    But otherwise, hey! Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE emma and addies' facial expressions!! i was just cracking up over here! they're so adorable and animated. :) good for them for trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your blog come up in google reader...I always know it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly LOL!!!!
    That is hysterical. I'm so glad I'm not the only mother who likes to catch the true facial expressions of her children. I still remember the pic you posted of Brody takin' care of his 'business'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny!!! Reminds me of the photos we took in Kauai trying the "sweet/sugar apple" - that was hillarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, a picture really is worth a million words!

    So I've been reading the What to Expect book week by week, and we recently graduated from the produce section. I really wish they would have stuck with it though. This week, our baby is the size of a standard envelope. A few weeks ago he was the size of a grapefruit. Doesn't a grapefruit seem like it has a lot more substance to it than an envelope?! It seems he's shrinking...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMWord Angie this had me laughing so hard Steve actually came in to see what I was doing! *pant pant* phew - your girls crack me up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...