Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Business Trip

Sometimes I think I'd feel like a real grown up if only I could go on a business trip.


Gary doesn't think it's glamorous when he travels every few months, and in fact insists he'd rather be home.  Even a friend I was talking to the other day said it might seem "romantic" but it's not all it's cracked up to be.  But in my mind, there's something exciting about packing up, flying somewhere (alone and sans sippy cups and Teddy Grahams in your carry-on), and getting stuff done.

So I've decided:  I'm going on a business trip.

I leave tomorrow morning.  This business trip was previously referred to as a vacation around our house, but as I've been packing in the last few days, I've decided to rename it a business trip.

You are probably saying to yourself, "But, Angie, you are a stay-at-home mom!"

True.  True.  So what business do I have going on a business trip?

I might be a stay-at-home mom, but I'm a wife first.  And Gary is my business.  And so off we go, just Gary and I, on a business trip tomorrow morning.

My suitcases are just about packed.  The dress code for this business trip is business tropical.  Sunglasses, floppy hats, swimming suits, flip flops... it's all in there.  There might also be some gettin'-down-to-business clothes in there as well.  (IfyouknowwhatImean!)


This business trip doesn't have a strict itinerary jam-packed with meetings and seminars.  In fact, I got a sneak peek at the schedule and practically every meeting and seminar is either poolside or on the beach.  And our meetings might look more like quiet times praying for our kids, and our seminars might be more like Surfing 101.  I can deal with that.


See, if I'm not making Gary my business, and if we don't take time to invest in our marriage, we'll just be roommates. And if we're just roommates, it stops being fun.  And the intimacy is gone.  Not to mention we're both better parents when we're really loving each other.  This vacation business trip is an investment in our marriage and in our kids' lives.  You've probably heard the saying:  "The best gift a father can give to his children is to love their mother."  (And vice versa!)  We want our kids to see that we love each other, and that it's worth it to us to spend time together, even without them.

Vacations with our kids are a blast, but when we only have each other to focus on, without the distraction of cutting a small person's food or counting four little heads multiple times an hour, the time we'd normally have to connect is exponentially higher.  The uninterrupted time we spend relaxing together, adventuring together, and talking together will all strengthen our marriage and create new memories to look back on when things get tense.  Because this is real life, and not every day is a business trip vacation.

We're not always so lucky to go on nice business trips like this, but every date night is an investment in our marriage, no matter how big or how small.  A walk around the block.  Wandering around a book store together.  Late night ice cream binges after the kids go to bed.

So if you'll excuse me now, I need to go make sure I packed sunscreen pack my briefcase.  Next time I write, it'll be from a hammock on the beach, next to my hubby.  Just another day at the office, you know.

10 comments:

  1. Love, love it! You are one ultimate professional to put business before pleasure...and unbelievably smart to have figured out how to combine the two so well. HAVE. A. BLAST!!! and now I won't feel as guilty stealing you once in a while from Gary next month. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great post, Angie!!! You are so right on with this.....what a great reminder. Have a wonderful business trip!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I totally needed that reminder. Might even have to link back to this someday on my blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Angie, and love that you're getting away with Gary. It's SO SO SO important.

    I'm hoping I run into you at DIA tomorrow. I'm flying out for the weekend too...with my son...so if I see happen to see you I'll give you a quick hello and then let you two lovebirds have some privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fabulous trip friend, can't wait to hear about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so happy for y'all! enjoy, my friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jealous. It's Business, It's Business Time. Tell me you know that reference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need a new post! I need a new post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally read this and it's so funny! I'm really glad for you guys to have that alone time together. It's a treasured gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đài loan và dịch vụ gửi hàng đi canada uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...