Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Whose hand is in bed with me?!" - or - The tale of my night

Let me warn you: after reading this, you might feel like you've just wasted five minutes of your life. Hey - I've warned you. And I'll probably end up reminding you of this warning as you read.

So last night I fell asleep on the couch shortly after Gary went up to bed. I woke up around 11:45 and after checking a few important emails and blogs (my friend Kelly had her baby yesterday and she's beautiful!), I stumbled up to bed. I should've just slept on the couch because I could not get back to sleep.

I stretched my legs, I prayed, I tossed and turned, and yes, I even counted sheep. No really, I did. Nothing. Then my mind began to wander, which usually means it'll be a long time before I sleep.

First, I remember laughing out loud about the random titles they give each Amazing Race show. Have you ever noticed? They pick a random quote out of the show and that's what they name the show. I don't know why, but that's SO funny to me. Last week's was, "I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak on Us," which is what one of the contestants said as their elderly taxi driver started making some rather odd sounds. Can you imagine if we titled each of our days with random quotes? That's a funny thought to me. I warned you...

So that made me think of these commercials on TV that I get a kick out of. Who knows what they're even for; medication maybe? They're the ones where the people look like the food next to them. Like the guy in spotted pajamas next to the pepperoni pizza, except they're usually more clever than that example. I think they're creative and if you've not seen them, you're missing out.

At this point, I somehow had this vision of a small plastic Batman figurine jumping into a bowl of milk. We don't even own any small plastic Batman figurines, so I think I was on the brink of dreamland on this one.

But! That shook me back to reality and made me think of the milk I forgot to bring in! Darn! We have our milk delivered on Wednesday mornings, and yesterday I left it outside all day. It was cold, and in an insulated cooler, but still, I should have brought it in. First thing in the morning, I thought. (I've yet to do it.)

So then that made me think of the time our refrigerator was too cold and our milk froze! Our milk in GLASS BOTTLES froze. Oh my goodness, what a mess. Glass and milk everywhere. Whoever said, "Don't cry over spilled milk" never had this happen to them. I had to clean everything in our fridge because it either had milk and/or glass on it.

I think I dozed off at this point, but just for a few minutes. It was one of those things where you feel like you were asleep for hours, but in reality, you look at the clock and it's literally been 2 minutes or so. I woke with a start because there was a cold hand next to me, on the far side from where Gary was sleeping!!! I picked it up in a panic, thinking, "Whose hand is in bed with me?!" That's when I realized it was mine. Have you done that? You fall asleep on your arm and it falls completely asleep (even if you're not!) and it gets cold, and literally you wake up so groggy you can't figure out if it's yours or not. I sure hope that happens to someone else, otherwise maybe something is wrong with me.

Once I established that it was indeed my own hand, I began to think about sleeping and why I couldn't. My sweet Gary was sleeping soundly next to me (notice I said soundly not quietly - maybe that was the key!), and my girls were sleeping peacefully in their rooms. But that's when I heard Addie whimpering. I wondered if she were having a bad dream. Poor thing. I only heard that one whimper, so I wasn't worried, and instead thought of the bad dreams I would have when I was little. Once I dreamed that my dad was thrown into a cage and taken away on the circus train.

That made me think of the silly thing I did when I woke up from that dream. I think I was in 5th or 6th grade and must've thought I was some deep thinker. (Which, it's obvious from this post that I am, isn't it?) I woke up and wrote a quote down that I swore would make me famous someday. I still have the little slip of paper, and someday if I find it again, I'll post it for you. It's a good laugh. I wrote, "Dreams can make you realize just how much you love someone." and it was followed by this: "~Angie Olson". Oh, so deep! So profound! I think in my 11 year old mind, that squiggly line would be the key to my fame someday.

Still with me? I warned you...

So the squiggly line (~) made me wonder what keyboards look like in other countries where the symbols and letters are all different. I made a note in my mind to Google it in the morning.

At this point, I must've fallen asleep. And aren't you relieved? I am. I'm pretty tired today, and a nap is on the schedule for me, even if Emma insists she doesn't need one. All that thinking made me tired.

Okay, I'm off to bring in the milk before I forget.

Can't say I didn't warn you...

11 comments:

  1. Angie, you are famous! And it was most definitely the "~" that made me a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny. You've just reassured me that I'm not crazy and everybody lays in bed {like me} thinking random thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny. And I have to tell you -- the exact same "who's arm is in my bed" thing happened to my husband when he was in college. Only his hand was hanging OVER HIS FACE. So he thought someone was in his room about to attack him. And since he's a black-belt in a few different martial art forms, he was just about to rip that arm off the body of the person stalking him when he realized ... Oh. That's MY arm.

    Can you imagine how he would have explained that dislocated shoulder to the ER doctors?!?

    (So glad I posted in time for you last night. Some good friends on the East Coast are still bitter they missed it because they had to go to bed. But in your case, the time zone difference was your friend.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL! Love the randomness! I'm a fan of those commercials too, although the latest ones seem more of a stretch... they use the clothes to make the similarity WAY too much... before it was the people themselves who looked like the food.. wasn't it?

    Sorry you didn't sleep much... but glad to know I'm not the only one who spends hours thinking of strange stuff when she ought to be sleeping. LOL

    Great post!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie,

    That was awesome! I popped over from Cheryl's to tell you that your little angel's prayer was too cute, and was totally sucked in and distracted from your complete randomness. I love it! I thought I was the ONLY one who that stuff happened to.

    I can sleep better tonight knowing that I am indeed NOT the only one in the world. HA!

    Nice to meet ya!
    Melissa in Mel's World

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am laughing SO HARD! Definitely not a waste of 5 minutes! I love you!

    G loves those commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the randomness... and oh, are there more than a few slumber parties I remember where you would fall asleep mid-sentence and instead of finishing your story talk about "the microchips the farmers were putting in the cows mouths." Why that has stuck with me all these years beats me?! But it's so nice to know that some things--the fun things--never ever change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!!In a strange, odd way, it comforted me to know that I'm not the only person that carries on entire conversations with her self...and still claims to be sane! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI! I found you through your comment on someone else's blog. I absolutely LOVE your blog name and the meaning. I wish I would have thought of it first! ; ) It totally fits who I am! I'm the wife of a children's minister and always love getting to know other minister's wives. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Angie,

    I am praying daily for you and that little precious one He's forming with beauty and purpose right now!

    Love you in Jesus, friend!
    holly

    PS I go through the names and qualities of God through the alphabet when I can't sleep. I usually fall asleep by J :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...