Monday, April 11, 2011

My MIL


When it comes to mothers-in-law, I scored.

I've heard horror stories. I don't even need to go into it, because we've all heard them. I've heard the moniker "monster-in-law" and I've also heard "mother-in-love." Mine is much more like the latter.

I mentioned to a friend last week that I'd be picking my mother-in-law (MIL from here on out!) up from the airport, and she laughed, patted me on the back and said, "Oh dear. Well, if you need an escape, come on over! Ha ha ha ha!"

But see, it's not like that for me.

She came to visit from California over the weekend, and left today leaving Addie in tears (like every other time). It's hard to let Grammy go home when she sets up scavenger hunts, takes the girls to the school carnival, reads to them, takes them to the park, plays games with them, plays tea party, jumps on the trampoline, goes on walks, lets the kids play with her high-tech cell phone, rocks the baby to sleep, has a sleep-over in the kids' rooms, and climbs through the messy van to sit in the backseat with them, right in the middle of the chaos.
I look forward to my MIL coming into town. She's fun. She has lots of energy. She's helpful. She really loves my kids. She's totally selfless and just cares so much for other people.

And hello! She catches me up on my laundry and dishes. I've learned to look past misplaced utensils and things folded differently than what I'm used to. I've learned to accept the help rather than resist it. I've figured out that things don't need to be perfect when she visits: she's not judging me for the fine layer of dust on my mini-blinds or the unsorted papers on my desk. She loves us and just wants to spend time with us.
We have great conversations, lots of laughs and have a created a bunch of great memories together in the last thirteen (!) years. She prays for me regularly and she loves the Lord deeply. She's eager to share that love with everyone she knows, especially her grandkids. What's not to love about that?

And best of all, we both love this guy.

Thanks for being a great mother-in-law, Margaret. I'm blessed to be part of your family, and proud to be your daughter-in-law!

4 comments:

  1. You're one in a million Margaret! Angie tells me all the time how much help you are to her family. She's truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! Perhaps it's the Santa Ana/Tustin in her that makes her so great. :) Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your MIL too! She a great gal!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...