Sunday, March 13, 2011

In case you've ever wondered...

I'm quirky. And curious. I think of odd things.

So is it any wonder that I've wondered for years what happens in those mysterious Daylight Saving Time hours?

More specifically, what happens on TV? On the TV guide listing? Have you ever wondered? These are urgent things to think about, people!

I'm thankful for my super sleuthing cousin Molly, who committed again this year to documenting the wonder that is DST when it comes to the TV Guide channel. I can always count on her to provide me with what I need to put my mind at ease.

I sent her this request last night:


This morning she posted the following photo on my Facebook wall:
Do you see it? It jumps from 1:30 a.m. to 3:00 a.m.! Doesn't anyone beside me get giddy seeing this? No? Oh.

Molly's commentary also made me giddy. She's so funny and so faithful to cater to my whims.
She also took a picture for me one fall when it was the opposite. I can't find the picture anywhere, but perhaps she'll start an email distribution list for those who are curious that she can use for when the time comes. Be sure to alert her if you're interested.

7 comments:

  1. You crack me up, Angie.

    I'm nerdy too. One time on a trip from CO to Arkansas, I kept staring at my GPS (you know the one that talks loudly and obnoxiously and I don't know how to turn OFF!??) when we crossed the time zone in New Mexico JUST so I could see the GPS satellite adjust the clock to the new time. It worked. It was exciting. And yes, I'm a huge nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait, you didn't refer to yourself as a nerd. I don't think you're nerdy. Just me. I think you're super cool and love quirky things like "tan lines" on strip mall signage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Angie this is funny, cause I working Saturday night when the hour changed!! We have automatic clocks in the hospital that jump to the next hour, and basically they spun really fast and went through the entire hour until it reached 3am. It was really crazy, and pretty much the best moment ever to be at work an hour less ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm yeah. Hello. Like Kate, I used to work in a job where I worked overnights. Only I worked at a TV station, where we routinely taped satellite feeds from NYC to use in the newscasts. The feeds were labeled with Eastern time, but since we were in San Diego, we had to do the math (constant math) to tape them at Pacific time. Thus, the 1115PM feed (which was labeled 1115PM on the tape) was actually taped at 815PM.

    AND THEN THE TIME CHANGE WOULD HIT US. So the 3AM feed, which comes down at 12AM, now become the 4AM feed? WHERE DOES THE MISSING HOUR (or the extra hour) GO?!? Nightmarish, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nerd moment from the weekend (that I actually had a co-conspirator in): My DVR was paused and we waited to resume the show until the DirecTV screen saver with the logo that slowly bounces around the screen made a direct hit into one of the corners. SO GRATIFYING!

    (I later learned that this was something featured on The Office, but I don't watch that show, so we nerded out all on our own, no need for popular TV to prompt us.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if you are crazy for wondering that, then so am I because I promise you, I was thinking THE EXACT SAME THING yesterday!! ;) Thank you for solving this huge mystery for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I could be of assistance! Reading your blog Angie, you have no idea how often I realize that your brain works an awful lot like my brain. Must be those Weaver genes...

    My next mission is to get a video of the actual minute change. I know, I know... One really shouldn't set such lofty goals for themselves. What can I say though? I'm a go-getter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...