Go to the website for step-by-step directions, but the gist is that you dye an egg with a silk tie wrapped around it. It's pretty amazing.
A few things we learned:
- Thrift stores have awesome ties and they're CHEAP.
- Thrift stores are well-stocked with tacky Christmas sweaters this time of year. We are both well prepared for Ugly Christmas Sweater Brunch 2010.
- Lines at our local thrift store tend to be amazingly long at 11:00 on Thursdays.
- Crazy and ugly ties make cool dyed eggs.
- This project took longer than we thought, but it's our fault, not the project's fault.
- You can get two eggs dyed per tie.
- Although we didn't have a glass or enamel pot to boil our eggs in, it worked just fine.
- Next time we should make sure the vinegar is evenly distributed in the water BEFORE we dunk our eggs. (Yeah, duh. But I think that's why they didn't dye very evenly.)
- Go to the bathroom before you try this project.
Wanna see pictures? Here you go!
Amy's egg wrapping skillz:
Relaxing in the hot tub:
All of the finished eggs... prettier in real life. :(
We're tempted to go for round two, and I'm thinking we'll have much better results! Let me know if you try it - I'd love to see what you end up with!